Cleaning pro explains seven health hazards which are hiding in your home

We all do our best to keep our homes clean, warm and safe so we can relax in a nice environment.

But, there are a number of hazards which can go unnoticed in our houses on a day-to-day basis – from germ zones to spores in the air.

Which isn’t good for us, or our children, as it can cause health issues.

And, nobody wants to get sick right now!

Heather Barrigan, cleaning expert at outlined seven surprising health hazards that could be hiding in your home so you can tackle them head on.

She’s even suggested the best solutions.

Here’s what she had to say:

Drying clothes inside

Health hazard posed: Drying laundry indoors poses a health risk to those with asthma, hay fever or allergies.

The increased moisture in the air can cause a breeding ground for mould spores and dust mites to form.

These could be invisible to the naked eye but can weaken the immune system over time.

Solution: Use an outdoor washing line where possible.

Alternatively, use a tumble dryer or open a window for air circulation.

Mobile phones

Health hazard posed: Research shows that your mobile phone is 10 times dirtier than a toilet seat.

As you move around the house with your phone, the more germs you collect as microorganisms transfer from your fingers, to your phone, to your face.

Whilst these microorganisms won’t make you instantly sick, your mobile phone can pick up seriously harmful bacteria such as Streptococcus, MRSA and even E.coli.

Solution: Combine 60% water and 40% rubbing alcohol in a bowl and then dip a soft, microfibre cloth into the mixture.

Ring out the excess, and gently wipe the front and back of your phone.

Avoid taking your phone into places which harbour more bacteria, such as the bathroom.

  • Is Britain a nation of lockdown lovers – take Just Jane's Daily Star Sex Q&A

Dirty shower heads

Health hazard posed: Unlike dirty bathtubs, shower heads do not readily show you just how filthy they are.

Mineral deposits, harmful bacteria and organic matter can build up over time, which will then be in the water you shower in.

As well as clogging your shower, this can also cause eye and ear infections, scalp infection and digestive conditions.

Solution: Before you get into the shower, leave the water running for 2-3 minutes.

Clean the shower head on a regular basis.

You can do this by soaking it in white vinegar for at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Greasy ovens

Health hazard posed: Continuous cooking with a dirty oven can create carbon-based fumes and excess smoke that can be inhaled and pose a serious risk to your health.

Too much grease and grime can also reduce the efficiency of your oven, meaning it will take longer to cook the food.

Eating undercooked food can put you at risk of food poisoning and infections such as E.coli.

A dirty oven is also a fire risk too, as food and grease that have been burnt onto the inside of the oven and its window will continue to burn whenever it is used.

Solution: Clean your oven regularly.

If you have an electric oven, don’t spray cleaning solution on heating elements, simply lift them and spray underneath.

If you have a gas oven, don’t spray where the gas comes through.

A general rule of thumb is to scrub it once every three months. If you’re oven is too dirty, it may be time to replace it!

Toxic candles

Health hazard posed: It might surprise you to learn that your scented candles can be damaging to the environment, as well as your general health.

Some scented candles contain paraffin wax, which releases toxic compounds into the air when burnt.

These toxic chemicals include acetone, benzene, and toluene, which are all known carcinogens.

Solution: When purchasing your next scented candle, opt for products made from clean and natural ingredients such as soy or beeswax.

Mould in the bathroom

Health hazard posed: Inhaling mould fragments or spores can inflame the airways, cause chest tightness, throat irritation, or allergic reactions such as skin rashes.

Mould is particularly problematic for asthma sufferers, who could have an asthma attack if they are exposed to high levels of mould.

Solution: When showering, always keep a window open to aid air circulation.

Invest in an exhaust fan or dehumidifier to keep the bathroom dry.

The optimum temperature should be 18-21c.

Clean the bathroom regularly to kill mould and prevent it from reappearing.

Overloaded wall sockets

Health hazard posed: Whilst extension cables are convenient for plugging in that extra appliance, if you exceed the maximum current rating stated, this can cause the socket to overheat and possibly cause a fire.

As well as this, there is a more chance of electric shock occurring.

Solution: Work out the total wattage of all devices going into one socket.

If they add up to more than the maximum current rating stated, unplug a few devices.

Source: Read Full Article